Steps to Remember When Celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation
1. The priest greets you, and you make the Sign of the Cross.
2. The priest may read aloud from the Bible; after which you say, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. This is my first confession. These are my sins. Tell your sins.
3. The priest gives you a penance. It may be a prayer or a good deed to do.
4. You pray the Act of Contrition.
5. You make the Sign of the Cross silently when the priest gives you absolution, and you answer, “Amen.”
6. When the priest says, “Go in peace,” you thank him and leave.
7. You do your penance the priest has given you.
Celebrate!! Your sins have been forgiven!!
Five Strategies to maintain a positive relationship with your child
Building a strong, close relationship with your child is important now, and as they grow. Our teens tell us that less than 1 in 3 teens feel that they can talk to their parent or caregiver about difficult topics*. Our children are never too young, nor too old - building the relationship, and the communication, can start at any time. We offer these strategies to help you in this important work.
Support them with boundaries and expectations!
- Encourage their interests
- Turn struggles, failures, and mistakes into learning opportunities
- Have clear, consistent, and reasonable rules, expectations, and consequences
- Tell them you love them - often
- Point out and thank them for good behavior, even minor things
- Notice and praise specific efforts (“You really worked hard on that project”)
- Acknowledge and accept their feelings
- Teach them to label their feelings
- Model calm behaviors
Make time for them
- Make time when they’re ready to talk
- Share meals together
- Have them help with chores or projects
Listen without judgment
- Hear them before they hear you
- Ask questions to understand their thinking
- Listen for meaning in what they say (and don’t say)
Our Lady Queen of Peace
2700 South 19th Street
Arlington, Virginia, 22204, USA
Office hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (closed on federal holidays)Weekend Mass Schedule
Saturday Vigil: 5:30pm
Sunday: 8:00am, 9:30am, 11:15am,
6:00pm (Young Adult Mass)